The Garland Residential Idea Book was written to help homeowners and others making home improvements. The Idea Book provides guidance and inspiration for good design and quality construction for a variety of home enhancement projects, from small to large.
You will find within the Idea Book an explanation of architectural design principles and examples of how those principles can be used on four styles of homes that are common to Garland’s older neighborhoods. These principles are meant to guide improvements so that they enhance and strengthen the architectural character of homes and by extension, neighborhoods. You can improve your neighborhood – one house at a time.
What’s in the Idea Book?
The book contains practical advice, inspirational ideas, and best practices to consider when improving your home. The Residential Idea Book includes:
Style Guide. Understanding the characteristics that define the style of your home will help you make improvements that work with and enhance what you have. Find out about common housing styles in Garland.
Home Improvements. This section is organized by the type of improvement: curb appeal, design details, small improvements, garage conversions, and additions.
Top Ten Ideas. Don’t know what to do? Here you will find the top ten ideas for easy improvements to your home, many of which are inexpensive and can be done without professional help.
Steps to Take. Don’t know where to start? Sometimes home improvements require city permits, fees, design, and construction professionals. Found out what you need to know before you get started.
How do I use the Idea Book?
- Homeowners can use the book to plan their next improvement project.
- Neighborhood organizations can use the book to stir interest in improving their neighborhoods.
- Contractors, builders, architects, and rental property owners can also use the book to plan their next project or enhance their properties.
How can I get a copy of the Residential Idea Book?
- Download an electronic version (.pdf) of the Idea Book here.
- CD-ROMs can be acquired for free at the Building Inspections Department, located in the Main Street Municipal Building, 1st floor, 800 Main Street in Downtown Garland.
- Hardcopies can be purchased for $10.00 at the Planning & Community Development Department, located in the Main Street Municipal Building, 2nd floor, 800 Main Street in Downtown Garland.
For additional information on the Residential Idea Book, contact the Planning & Community Development Department at 972-205-2445.