Homeowners who: 1) own the home, 2) live in the home, and 3) homestead the home through the Dallas Central Appraisal District (www.dcad.org) may pull a Homeowner's Affidavit and complete the repairs themselves if they feel confident in making the required repairs. Homeowners must provide a copy of a current driver's license which reflects the address you are trying to permit. (If you have recently purchased the home, please call our office at 972-205-2300 for alternatives to this requirement.) This department will verify with Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD) via their website that a homestead exemption exists for the permitted address. If there is no record of a homestead exemption, the homeowner must provide a copy of the executed homestead exemption from DCAD.
If the homeowner is unable to produce the required documents stated above, a State-licensed master plumber registered with the City of Garland must be hired to take out the permit.
If the property is rental property, a State-licensed master plumber who is registered with the City of Garland must complete the repairs. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Gas pipe must be 18 inches deep.
- Black steel or galvanized steel is not approved for underground use.
- Factory-coated steel or Polyethylene (poly) pipe must be used underground. Field-applied mil wrap is not allowed except for at joints and nipples .
- Poly must have 18 AWG yellow insulated tracer wire in trench and extending above ground on both ends.
- Pre-bent factory riser at each end must be used on poly installations.
- All unions and steel nipples must be field-wrapped below ground and up to six inches (6") above ground.