• Email
  • Print

Gas Relays

  • Homeowner's Affidavit

    Permit fees are $88 whether a homeowner or contractor takes out the permit ($70 + $18 processing fee).

Homeowners who:  1) own the home, 2) live in the home, and 3) homestead the home through the Dallas Central Appraisal District (www.dcad.org) may pull a Homeowner's Affidavit and complete the repairs themselves if they feel confident in making the required repairs.  Homeowners must provide a copy of a current driver's license which reflects the address you are trying to permit.  (If you have recently purchased the home, please call our office at 972-205-2300 for alternatives to this requirement.)  This department will verify with Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD) via their website that a homestead exemption exists for the permitted address.  If there is no record of a homestead exemption, the homeowner must provide a copy of the executed homestead exemption from DCAD.

If the homeowner is unable to produce the required documents stated above, a State-licensed master plumber registered with the City of Garland must be hired to take out the permit.

If the property is rental property, a State-licensed master plumber who is registered with the City of Garland must complete the repairs.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

  1. Gas pipe must be 18 inches deep.
  2. Black steel or galvanized steel is not approved for underground use.
  3. Factory-coated steel or Polyethylene (poly) pipe must be used underground.  Field-applied mil wrap is not allowed except for at joints and nipples .
  4. Poly must have 18 AWG yellow insulated tracer wire in trench and extending above ground on both ends.
  5. Pre-bent factory riser at each end must be used on poly installations.
  6. All unions and steel nipples must be field-wrapped below ground and up to six inches (6") above ground.