• Email
  • Print

Electrical Repair/Meter Base Upgrade

Homeowners who:  1) own the home, 2) live in the home, and 3) homestead the home through the Dallas Central Appraisal District (dcad.org/) may pull a Homeowner's Affidavit and complete the repairs themselves if they feel confident in making the required repairs.  Homeowners must provide a copy of a current driver's license which reflects the address you are trying to permit.  (If you have recently purchased the home, please call our office at 972-205-2300 for alternatives to this requirement.)  This department will verify with Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD) via their website that a homestead exemption exists for the permitted address.  If there is no record of a homestead exemption, the homeowner must provide a copy of the executed homestead exemption from DCAD.

If the homeowner is unable to produce the required documents stated above, a State licensed electrician registered with the City of Garland must be hired to take out the permit.

If the property is rental property, a State-licensed electrician who is registered with the City of Garland must complete the repairs.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

If your utility company is Garland Power & Light (GP&L) and you've taken out a permit, and while completing electrical repairs you wish to upgrade your meter base, the City Warehouse (located at 1720 Commerce Street, 75040; 972-205-3400) will provide you with a new meter base free of charge.  You must show your permit to the staff member assisting you in order to obtain the meter base.