• Email
  • Print

News Updates

Historic Pace House to be Relocated Oct. 15

Garland’s historic Pace House will move Oct. 15 to its new, permanent location at 317 South 11th Street in Garland’s Travis College Hill Historic District.

The Pace House, an 1895-vintage Texas farmhouse inspired by the Queen Anne style, had been owned by the City of Garland since 1985. On Oct. 1, the City transferred ownership of the home to Louis and Kay Moore, who own a vacant lot at 317 South 11th St. The Moores plan to utilize the Pace House as a private residence.

In 2013, the City of Garland began preparing the area surrounding City Hall for a new development project, which prompted the relocation of the historic assets in Heritage Park. The Santa Fe Depot, which houses the Landmark Museum, and the 1910 Pullman rail car were moved to the new Heritage Crossing, a greenspace area and pedestrian corridor south of Walnut Street between Glenbrook Drive and Fifth Street. This prominent placement will better showcase Garland’s historic assets.

The Pace House and the Lyles House were originally slated for demolition. But citizens spoke up and worked with the City to find alternate solutions.

On Oct. 15, the Pace House will be moved from its current location behind the Granville Arts Center north of City Hall. The moving route will take it south on Fifth Street, west on Austin Street, then south on 11th Street until it reaches its new location. The move will cause temporary road closures along this route. In case of rain, the alternate moving date is Oct. 22.

The City will retain ownership of the Lyles House, which will be moved to the new Heritage Crossing location in 2015. The City is working with interested community groups to locate funding for future improvements to the Lyles House.

The Garland City Council officially designated the Travis College Hill Historic District as “historically significant” on May 20 and endorsed the voluntary preservation guidelines adopted by the property owners in the neighborhood. The neighborhood was platted in January 1913, is one of Garland’s oldest neighborhoods. It lies along South 11th Street between Avenues B and D and contains five homes dating from 1915-1918, five other homes dating from the 1920s to 1960 and one newer home built in 2002. The Pace House will be the oldest home in the district.