Garland Director Receives National Recognition
Rick French, HR Services Director for the City of Garland, has received the Lifetime Achievement award from the State and Local Benefits Association (SALGBA). This is the eighth time SALGBA’s Board of Directors has bestowed its highest honor in appreciation and recognition of one of its members.
The association held its 31st annual conference April 28 – May 1, 2013, in San Antonio, Texas with more than 550 public entities and vendors attending. At the annual awards luncheon, Mr. French was recognized by Louisiana’s Deputy Under-Secretary of State in charge of employee benefits, Mr. Hubert Lincecum. Mr. French was recognized for his meritorious service to SALGBA including but not limited to:
• Being the first Board Member to have ever been elected by vote of the jurisdictional membership
• Having chaired all 7 SALGA committee
• Serving in all officer positions on the SALGBA Board of Directors
• Having served as national President of the association in 2010 in Indianapolis
• Developing and implementing the first Policy and Procedure Manual for SALGBA
• Having presented and moderated multiple education sessions both nationally and regionally as well as being a staunch proponent of wellness and disease reduction for all levels of government employees
In addition, the award was based on Mr. French’s leadership at the state and local level in the field of public employee benefits. He has served the employees of the City of Garland in this capacity for nearly 14 years as well having more than 30 years’ experience in the benefits industry. He has mentored a number of benefits professionals and SALGBA members who are now in leadership positions within their respective organizations largely due to his help, coaching, and encouragement.