Cease The Grease!
Disposing of used cooking oil down the drain leads to costly plumbing repairs. Citywide, it is a leading cause of sanitary sewer overflows, clogs and stoppages. Our water utilities crews have to continuously service sewer lines, causing street closures and traffic delays in the process.
The City of Garland is partnering with the City of Dallas Water Utilities Cease The Grease program to bring Garland citizens an environmentally-friendly alternative to throwing away their used cooking oil.
Garland citizens can now help prevent extensive sewer maintenance with our Cease The Grease program. Rather than simply throwing away your used cooking oil, bring it to our Cease The Grease station, inside the Garland Drop-off Recycling Center at 1426 Commerce St. This oil will not only stay out of our landfills, but will be used as an alternative fuel at the wastewater treatment plant in Dallas County.
Help Garland Cease the Grease (CtG) by following these simple steps:
- Pick up an emply CtG container from our station.
- Fill your container with used, cooled cooking oil.
- Bring it back ot our CtG station
A few things to remember:
- Grease, the solid, waxy residue left after cooking most meats, should be thrown away with regular trash.
- Before putting dishes in the sink or dishwasher, wipe off excess grease with a paper towel and toss it in regular trash.
You can pick up and drop off containers at any other Cease The Grease station. A list of other sites across the Metroplex is available on Dallas Cease The Grease page. For more information, contact us.
For additional information, visit the following sites:
City of Garland Environmental Waste Services Recycling
Go Green Garland
Zero Waste Network website (pollution prevention)
Cease the Grease website - Dallas