Adult School Crossing Guards
The City of Garland provides Adult School Crossing Guards to assist the children in crossing the streets on the trips to and from school. Currently, Garland has 79 manned locations and these guards cross over 4,000 children each day between the hours of 7:10 a.m. and 8:10 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. The hours may be varied slightly to accommodate specific location needs.
What Can I Do To Help?
Adults can assist in keeping our kids safe each day by obeying the laws concerning the school zones. In our busy lives sometimes we all forget how hazardous our vehicles can be to these youngsters. You can help by remembering these simple guidelines:
- Stay Alert - Watch for small children. Children under the age of eight believe that if they can see you, then you can see them so they often dart out from behind a parked car.
- Slow Down - Obey the 20 mile per hour MAXIMUM speed limit in school zones and the 30 mile per hour MAXIMUM speed limit on residential streets.
- Do Not Stop or Park on a Crosswalk - This is against the law. All vehicles must stop behind the painted white stop bar or crosswalk line.
- Be Patient - Proceed into the crosswalk or intersection ONLY after ALL pedestrians are all clear of the crosswalk and the intersection can be completely crossed.
- Obey the Crossing Guards - They are there to protect the children but can only do so with your cooperation. It is a violation of State Law to "willfully fail or refuse to comply with any lawful order or direction to stop and yield to pedestrians given by any School Crossing Guard while in performance of his duties in a designated school-crossing zone".