Purchase and Usage
- Estimate carefully
- Use latex paints rather than oil-based when possible.
- Choose paint with low or no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).
- When outdoors, use tarps and drop cloths to prevent overspray and spills.
- Never clean equipment in gutters, driveways, streets, or storm drains.
- Use the paint on the brushes and rollers as much as possible before cleaning.
- Always clean latex paint equipment in a sink.
- Reuse cleaning solvents/thinners for oil based paint and use the least toxic products available.
- Seal cans tightly and turn upside down to keep paint from drying out.
- Store all paint products in a covered area away from floor drains.
- Keep absorbent materials, such as kitty litter, on hand to clean up spills.
Alternative Non-Toxic Cleaning Products
- Window Cleaner - Vinegar and wipe with newspaper
- Room Deodorizer - Baking Soda
- Scouring - Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Toilet Cleaners - Baking Soda and Brush
- Rug Cleaners - Sprinkle Baking Soda and Vacuum
- Laundry Bleach - ½ Cup White Vinegar, Baking Soda or Borax
- Weed Killer - Mix 10 to 20% Vinegar with Water and Spray