Since the implementation of the stormwater permit, is the water quality improving?
Yes. On average each year, the Stormwater Management Department collects 400 gallons of hazardous materials; keeps up to 40,000 tons of construction sediment  out of drainage channels; collects 13,000 gallons of oil; fixes 240 discharge problems found from storm water sampling; and disposes of 116,000 tons of household hazardous waste materials.

What is the difference between the sanitary sewer system and the storm drain system?
In Garland, the wastewater collection and stormwater systems are separate.
The sanitary sewer system collects wastewater.  Wastewater is used water that drains from toilets, sinks, household drains and some industrial drains.  The wastewater travels through wastewater collection pipes to a wastewater treatment plant where it is treated to strict quality standards.  The treated affluent is then released into Duck Creek, a tributary of the Trinity River. 

Stormwater enters the storm drainage system through street inlets and drainage channels and goes to lakes and rivers untreated.  Stormwater is run-off from rainfall.

What can I do to help?

  • Be aware of the stormwater pollution problem.  Awareness is the first step.
  • Become a responsible consumer.  Avoid buying products that could be toxic to the environment.  Carefully read labels, or call the Stormwater Hotline at 972-205-2180 for answers to questions that you may have.
  • Dispose of household chemicals and used oil properly.
  • Keep pet wastes, leaves and other debris out of storm drains.
  • Report illegal dumping to the Stormwater Hotline 972-205-2180.
  • Participate in cleanup activities in your neighborhood.
  • Take caution with your use of lawn care products.  Follow the directions.
  • Maintain your vehicle on a regular basis to prevent leaks.
  • Recycle.
  • Spread the word about pollution prevention.

Is the Stormwater Management Department part of the Water Department?
No.  The Stormwater Management department is administered by the Managing Director of Engineering, Streets, Transportation and Stormwater Management.

I think I need a storm drain inlet installed near my property. Who do I call?
Call the Street Department 972-205-3555, streets@ci.garland.tx.us.