All of these activities listed below, as well as many others, are designed to benefit the citizens of Garland allow the City to comply with federal and state laws and regulations. These activities are executed through various departments.
- Education - Pollution prevention presentations are free of charge and available upon request for neighborhood block parties, schools and civic groups.
- Water Monitoring and Sampling - to identify sources of pollution and to correct them. This is conducted both by our Health Department and on a regional basis.
- Storm Drain Marking - to help citizens aware that storm drains lead directly to our local waterways.
- Street Sweeping – to reduce pollutants on the street surfaces that can flush to waterways. This stormwater activity is conducted by the Street Department.
- Channel and Storm Drain Maintenance - Our street department removes any debris that could cause drainage problems during rain events.
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection - The City contracts with Dallas County Home Chemical Collection Center to help eliminate toxic products from entering our water supply and landfill.
- Hazardous Material Spill Response, Containment and Clean-Up - The City’s Health Department is involved in this responsibility to reduce hazardous pollutants from entering our waterways.
- Stormwater Hotline - to provide stormwater quality information and for residents to report pollution.
- Stormwater Detention and Flood Management - Projects are reviewed and sponsored to reduce flooding.
- Construction Site Run-Off Control - Field Engineering inspects site to reduce the amount of sediment that enters our drainage system and waterways.
- Industrial Inspection - Health Department inspect local industries to ensure compliance.
- Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination - Health Department continually samples our water for pollutants and tracks down source of pollution when necessary.
- Litter Management - Parks Department routinely picks up trash at our parks. This keeps trash out of our waterways.
- Mutt Mitts - Parks Department maintains our pet waste dispensers at our parks.