• Email
  • Print


The Garland Police Department Financial Crimes Unit recommends that victims of an identity theft take steps to repair the damage done to the victim's name and credit.

  1. Get a copy of your credit report and check it for open accounts you did not authorize. Your credit report can be obtained from one of the three credit reporting agencies, Equifax, TransUnion and Experian. There are links below for each of the credit reporting agencies.
  2. Have the credit reporting agency place a security alert on your credit report. This will make it harder for anyone to open new accounts in your name.

If you would like to read more on identity theft, please go to the below listed links for information.

Credit Reporting Agencies:


For more information, you can also visit the Federal Trade Commission website.