How to Make a Complaint

When a citizen has a complaint against a Police Department employee, (commissioned or civilian), the complaint may be directed to the department's Internal Affairs Office. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, if the complaint is minor in nature, the employee’s supervisor may be contacted. Texas Civil Service Law requires that all formal complaints against police officers must be in writing, and signed by the person making the complaint. The person who feels directly affected by the incident must file the complaint. Observers of the incident may give statements as witnesses.

Internal Affairs investigators will ensure that a thorough investigation of your complaint is conducted. Just as citizens who are arrested must be told the charges against them, a police employee must be given a copy of the complaint before any disciplinary action is taken. When the investigation is complete, the complainant will be notified of the results by mail from the Chief of Police.

False Complaints

Filing a false complaint against a police employee may be a violation of the Texas Penal Code, Section 37.02. If a person knowingly and intentionally makes a false statement under oath, or swears to the truth of a false statement previously made under oath, he/she may be found guilty and punished by a fine up to $4,000; receive confinement in jail up to one year; or receive both fine and imprisonment.

For more information, view the Internal Affairs Brochure.