Forest-Jupiter Transit-Oriented Redevelopment
After many months of working with property owners, business owners, and other stakeholders, a unified approach for reinvestment is now available for the Forest-Jupiter-Walnut area. At their May 7, 2013 meeting, the Garland City Council approved the Forest-Jupiter Transit-Oriented Redevelopment Plan [pdf].
The intent of this project is to identify potential redevelopment opportunities within the Forest-Jupiter-Walnut area (view planning area map) and provide an implementation strategy intended to build on and enhance the project area as an employment center. Important issues being evaluated as part of this process include:
- Expanding access to all forms of transportation (mass-transit, freight, motorized vehicles, and pedestrian routes); and,
- Identifying ways to support residential, retail, entertainment, commercial, and open space within a vibrant and safe environment for people who live and work in the area.
Key to implementing the recommendations from this effort over the coming 5 to 15 years is the cooperation and investment by both private and public property owners. Below provides a summary of the public input to date.
- The first public meeting (March 7, 2012) provided information on the investment climate and market realities of the area as well as an opportunity to garner input on a number of issues. Public Meeting #1 presentation [pdf]
- The second public meeting (June 26, 2012) provided redevelopment ideas and concepts for the overall area and specific sites as well as provided attendees the opportunity to give their feedback on those ideas and concepts. Public Meeting #2 presentation [pdf]
- The third public meeting (September 25, 2012) summarized information previously presented during the previous two public meetings and reviewed public input from the second meeting, including refined programming. Public Meeting #3 presentation [pdf]
Please visit this website for updates on the process. For more information on the Forest-Jupiter Transit-Oriented Redevelopment Plan, contact Christine Maguire (972-205-2462, CMaguire@GarlandTx.gov) or Teresa Biddick (972-205-2833, TBiddick@GarlandTx.gov).