First Time Homebuyer Program
The First Time Homebuyer’s Program provides down payment assistance to low and moderate income first-time homebuyers purchasing a home in Garland. Assistance is in the form of a forgivable loan that is due and payable upon the sale, home equity loan, lease or transfer of title within the first five years of ownership.
Objective: Provide a network of services and providers that furnishes the resources for low and moderate income families to be able to buy a home and become successful homeowners.
FUNDING FOR DOWNPAYMENT ASSISTANCE HAS BEEN DEPLETED FOR THE 2014-2015 YEAR.
- Must not have owned a home within the past three years at application.
- Must be below 80% of HUD's median income guidelines.
- Must purchase a home in the Garland City Limits.
- Must be able to qualify for a first mortgage with a private lender.
- More Information can be found on HUD Median Family Income Guidelines.
Who are Members of the Partnership?
The partnership is made up of three general areas of housing development that include:
- Financial - First mortgage loans provided to clients through the private sector.
- Real Estate - Private real estate agents providing to clients participating in the program.
- Neighborhood Services - At the hub of this partnership is Neighborhood Services who acts as the principal overseer and coordinator of the partnership.
How the Process Works
The Program provides $10,000 in down payment assistance funding to eligible applicants. Clients come into the home buying process in many ways but simply stated, when a client is interested in purchasing a home, the following steps will guide them thru the application process:
First Time Homebuyer Program Information
HOME Application Package
- You may call our office at 972-205-2136 to obtain a package that will give the necessary steps in the program or you may click on the appropriate links above. The package includes the required paperwork and guidelines.
- Select a realtor to help in the purchase of a home. Once a home has been selected, the realtor will write a contract on the property and will submit this to the lender.
- Select a lender to obtain the first mortgage on the home. The lender will in turn provide Neighborhood Services with a copy of the loan package and approval documentation.
- Submit your sales contract, loan package and approval along with our completed Neighborhood Services application and forms to our office located at 800 Main Street, Garland TX 75040.
Once all the documentation is received and the eligibility is established, the home will be sent to an Inspector to insure that the property passes Garland's Minimum Housing Code Standards. Please allow at least two weeks from the time a package is dropped off to schedule closing with a title company.
The above steps are presented in an oversimplified nature. There are many detailed and time sensitive requirements and steps that must happen to make the process work efficiently and successfully. If all partners know and follow prescribed roles something wonderful happens; the development of an affordable home for a client who may not but for this program been able to own a piece of the American dream.
For additional questions, please call 972-205-2130 or email email@example.com.