Environmental Management System
In late 2007, the Environmental Waste Services Department (EWS) committed to implement an Environmental Management System (EMS) and work to become a Clean Texas Gold Member. EWS is currently at Bronze membership level of achievement.
Clean Texas is a voluntary environmental leadership program to protect air, water, and land resources in Texas. Clean Texas, administered through the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), recognizes organizations for creative approaches in resolving environmental challenges and setting goals that exceed compliance levels under existing regulations.
EWS employees are asked to consider how they affect the environmental every day and are involved in:
- Training to provide an informed team.
- Leading and serving on goal teams.
- Measuring performance against goals.
- Internal auditing to ensure progress and compliance.
Benefits of an EMS
- Positive effect on environmental performance and compliance.
- Increased efficiency in departmental operations.
- Reduced operating costs.
- Improved relationships with regulators and the community.
In 2009, EWS earned the Green3 Whole Circle Award, an award given by the North Texas Corporate Recycling Association (NTCRA).
- This award recognizes outstanding contributions to the recycling industry that result in meaningful waste reduction.
- The Whole Circle Award and was given for the implementation of our successful EMS and is the highest honor awarded by the association.
- Call the EMS Coordinator, Glenna Brown at 972-205-3769 or firstname.lastname@example.org.